Coolrite U19A Football Championship Semi-final. Skryne 1-10, Dunshaughlin 2-04 | Skryne GFC
Admin Login

Coolrite U19A Football Championship Semi-final. Skryne 1-10, Dunshaughlin 2-04

By proskrynemeath Sat 25th Nov

Coolrite U19A Football Championship Semi-final. Skryne 1-10, Dunshaughlin 2-04
Coolrite U19A Football Championship Semi-final. Skryne 1-10, Dunshaughlin 2-04

Skryne grind out victory to advance to U19A Final

Skryne 1-10, Dunshaughlin 2-04

Coolrite U19A Football Championship – Semi Final

Skryne’s composure saw them prevail over a stubborn Dunshaughlin side who hit two second half goals which rocked Skryne but didn’t derail their progress to the final.

Skryne’s courage and determination was exemplified by full-back James Reeves whose grandfather Thomas sadly passed away yesterday. James made his grandfather proud today by putting in a storming display at full-back as Skryne’s defence continued to be miserly, restricting Dunshaughlin to just six scores.

Dunshaughlin were quickly out of the traps with their opening attack yielding a point from Conor Duke who fetched an early mark which he sent over the black spot. Conor Donohoe opened Skryne’s account with a fine effort from the right hand side. Billy Smyth added a pointed free to give Skryne the lead in what was a low scoring first half. Mark Swan added a third point for Skryne 20 minutes in when he received the ball on the right-hand side before turning onto his trusty left boot and shooting over. Dunshaughlin replied immediately with Ciarán Sheridan pointing from a narrow angle on the left hand side. Dunshaughlin drew level with four minutes remaining in the half when Charlie O’Connor fetched a mark and slotted over. Billy Smyth put Skryne ahead again after Andrew Canavan laid the ball off to him in front of the Dunshaughlin goal. Smyth sold a magnificent dummy avoiding a block, before firing over to see Skryne lead by the minimum at half-time. Skryne 0-4, Dunshaughlin 0-3.

Skryne took control of the game early in the second half with talisman Billy Smyth hitting five points in a row(3 frees) as Skryne looked to be finally cutting loose. However, Dunshaughlin found a way back into the game as a speculative effort for a point from wing-half-forward Rory Manek somehow found its way into the back of the Skryne net. Dunshaughlin hit a second goal 4 minutes later when the Skryne defence were guilty of some indecision and Dunshaughlin capitalised with Adam Hanley finding space in front of the Skryne goal. He made no mistake, blasting the ball to the back of the Skryne net to level the game, before adding a point to take the lead with 14 minutes remaining. Skryne didn’t panic and with 10 minutes remaining, a Billy Smyth free dropped into the Dunshaughlin penalty area. Tom Lenehan was quickest to react gathering the loose ball before hitting a low shot to the back of the Dunshaughlin net. A Billy Smyth free 4 minutes from time gave Skryne a three-point lead which they held onto for the remainder of the game.

While it wasn’t pretty, Skryne got the victory they deserved and will now face neighbours Walterstown in the final which is expected to be played next weekend. Well done to all the lads!!!

Skryne: Luke O’Brien; Seán McCarthy, James Reeves, Riain McConnell; Cillian Moss, John Finnerty, Ciarán Quinn; Robert Gallagher, John O’Regan; James Mangan, Conor Donohoe, Mark Swan(0-1); Charlie Swan, Andrew Canavan, Billy Smyth(0-8, 5fs).

Subs used: Tom Lenehan(1-0), Cathal Lenehan

Fancy a flutter!! Why not play Skryne GFC’s online BLOTTO. Jackpots of up to €10,000. Click here to play.




By proskrynemeath Sat 25th Nov

Related News

Main Sponsor

Proud to be part of